Thursday, June 01, 2006

The new kitty


This kitty has a story of sorts. He moved in under my front porch the end of last summer. Cats and kittens get dumped here all the time. There's a dairy farm down the road and we have chickens, ducks, and geese so I guess people think that it's an appropriate place to toss out their unwanted kitties. I usually bribe the kitties with food to get them on the porch and then call the local humane society. But this guy was like a ghost. No way was he showing his face. We put water and food out every day, but the minute anyone even looked out the door he ran away. This went on until late fall when we had a really bad cold snap - below zero weather at night. The first cold night, he still wouldn't come on the porch. The second cold night he slept inside the little shelter we put on the porch. The next morning he let us pick him up and take him to the vet. This was the first time I got a good look at the boy. Skinny, but very pretty. The vet checked for a microchip (none) and gave him all his shots and a worming. I called the humane society to see if someone was looking for the boy - no one was. So, we kept him. Well actually one of my housemates did. (Poor boy got neutered shortly thereafter.)

After old kitty died, this guy started spending a lot of time with me and sleeping in my bed. And here I thought that I'd finally get to have the larger part of the bed to myself. LOL Last week my housemate told him that I was his mother, so I guess I now have a kitty. A blue-eyed kitty. A not overly bright kitty. But he sleeps in my bed and tries to bite my toes! It could be worse.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful kitty!

What is it with cats and biting toes? My daughter's cat does that. *grin*

Unknown said...

I don't know about the toe biting and cats because this guy is the first one I've had who does it all the time. The old kitty only bit toes once - the first time B stayed, old kitty apparently wasn't impressed and bit his toes at a critical moment. *big grin* Maybe that's why when the Alzheimer's got bad he forgot we were married?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new family member. Seems animals know who to adopt. ;-)

Unknown said...

VW - Thank you. Blushing a bit at the compliment.