Thursday, November 10, 2005

My new favorite math quote

I followed a link from Ars Mathematica to the site to download a book (Toposes, Triples, and Theories, by Michael Barr and Charles Wells). From there I followed the link, CWRU Mathematics Department Website to the Case Western Reserve University's Department of Mathematics.

And there I found a truly wonderful quote - "Mathematicians, when they work, engage in intensely serious play. They follow their curiosity into problems that interest them and toward the smell of a solution." Richard Preston, The New Yorker, April 11, 2005

I may have to add this to my repetoire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I was in high school they had a teacher (PhD type) teaching the advanced math... to be specific the Calculus classes. A bunch of my friends took this class and said he was a lousy teacher.... why? Because...

He would present a problem on the board... make a mistake... stand there staring at the problem... and then, instead of correcting it and going on with the problem for the class... he'd wander off into thought and tell them - this would make an interesting proof... and then proceed to work out the "new" proof....

The only problem was - while that might work with very advanced students - when you're only just learning Calculus - this doesn't help at all... but it is funny.

Unknown said...

LOL! I think this guy took following his curiosity a little too far.

Anonymous said...

Oddly, I find that quote to be quite applicable to what I do while blogging.